[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 - draft frontend setup steps

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 01:52:42 UTC 2016

On 16-01-09 04:16 PM, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> On 10/01/16 08:59, Curtis Gedak wrote:
>> Since my LCD monitor is only 1680x1050 the edges of the video image
>> are not visible on the screen.
>
> There's a whole host of settings you can apply in your /boot/config.txt
> to set the monitor to it's native mode.
>
> For example, for 1680x1050, according to:
> http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options
>
> The /boot/config.txt entry *should* give you native resolution ~
>
> hdmi_group=2     # DMT (monitor, !TV) mode
> hdmi_mode=58   # 1680x1050 60Hz

Thank you Kingsley for this suggestion.

By making the above two listed changes (my audio is on the 3.5mm
headphone jack), my recordings would display within my 1680x1050 LCD
monitor screen.  :-)

Interestingly when watching the same recordings I experienced more video
pixelation and audio choppiness than without these settings.  This
occurred both with and without overscan enabled.  My guess is that it
takes more processing power to scale the image to fit the dimensions of
my monitor.

For now I've gone back to not using these settings because not seeing
the outer edges of the recordings results in smoother video and audio.

Thanks,
Curtis