[mythtv-users] Remote Suggestions

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Wed Jan 6 14:57:00 UTC 2016

Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote on Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 04:23:33AM -0500:
>  I will second [the Sony RM-VLZ620]... I feel it's one of the best remotes you can
> get to use with mythtv.
>
> [snip]
>
> The battery life
> is amazing... I don't think I have changed the batteries more than twice in
> 4 years.

Does it remember the programmed button assignments while the batteries are out,
or do you have to re-program it when you replace batteries?

> [snip]
>
> It fits the hand so much better than most remotes I have
> used, feels solid, has no sharp edges or corners, and its weight is
> distributed exactly right.

One of my remotes sits on my kitchen counter, and I wish I could reach over and
press a button without picking it up. If you put this one on a flat surface like
that, is it stable enough that you can press buttons near the edges without it
tipping over? A lot of remotes are too rounded on the back for that.

> If your not up for spending a small fortune on a remote, want a button for
> everything, and prefer physical buttons over touchscreens, you simply won't
> find a better remote for MythTV.  The only remote that I have seen is that
> might come close is the Harmony 350... it has 49 buttons... but the layout
> is crap if you ask me.

Thanks for the review. I think I'd prefer the layout of my current remotes
(MediaGate HA-IR01SV MCE) to the Sony, but the Sony's ability to control other
devices is a big plus. Also a big plus if it's stable on a flat surface.