[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Tue Jan 5 19:59:45 UTC 2016

On 05/01/16 13:54, rob e wrote:
> hi Lawrence,
> Further to my last email, now that I have sound I've been looking further
> afield and find that h264 content is problematic (surprisingly) in both
> mp4 and mkv containers.
> [...]
> In each case VLC plays these fine on the Pi, as does OpenElec (V6) - with
> minimal CPU usage

Agreed - this basically reflects my minimal MP4 playback testing too.

I didn't test mkv playback in any way as comprehensively as Rob though.

I found that 720p h.264 is enough to make it stutter, turning on subtitles
(ass / sub station alpha format) is enough to kill it.

FWIW mythtv seems to render subtitles in real-time. With a suitably fancy
font, and say karaoke-like font animation, even a workstation has troubles.
On the same hardware, vlc does not.

I made a test sample, I just need to get it out somehow.

cheers,
-kt