[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

rob e redgerhoo at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 4 20:51:43 UTC 2016

On 04/01/16 19:37, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> Rob,
>
> Many thanks for running these tests and the test clips.  However,
> looking at the logs I can't see anything that indicates an OpenMAX
> problem or gives any indication why you hear no sound in PCM mode.
>
> I tried playing all 3 clips on my RPi and I hear stereo sound from my
> HDMI monitor when I select the OpenMAX:hdmi output and select stereo
> speakers.  The sound becomes 'choppy' if I select 5.1 or 7.1 speakers -
> that would be expected.
>
> There's nothing but static when I enable AC3 or DTS, but that's expected
> as my monitor only accepts PCM and from your report that's when your
> receiver plays sound, so digital pass through is working.
>
> I'm at a loss to explain why you can't play PCM sound to your HDMI
> connected receiver.  There must be a configuration issue.  Maybe you
> have to tell your receiver manually when it's in PCM mode?
>
> Is the problem to do with /boot/config.txt?  I have this:
>
> # 1920x1080 @ 50Hz 16:9, clock:148MHz progressive
> disable_overscan=1
> hdmi_group=1 # CEA mode
> hdmi_mode=31
> hdmi_drive=2
> gpu_mem=256
>
> Apart from the MPEG license, I have no other settings in config.txt.
>
> Thanks for the ALSA config info.  All I need to do now is convince the
> family that I should move the TV sound system into the office so that I
> can check digital sound with the RPi !!
>
> -- Lawrence Rust

hi Lawrence,
I played around some more and manage to hear some sound. So now I have
Stereo, AC3 and DTS sound

Changes -
- To Enable Sound generally
       Go to Settings / Audio and on the first screen
           Set Output Device = OpenMax:HDMI
           Check Dolby Digital and DTS
           Set Speaker Configuration = 5.1
           Set Upmix Quality = Passive   (this is key)
       On the second screen (Audio Mixer),
           Check Use Internal Volume Controls
           Set Mixer Device = "OpenMax:" and Mixer Controls = "PCM"
- To enable Music
       Go to Setup / Media Settings / Music Tools / Music Settings /
General Settings
       Set Audio Device to "default"

So now I have 5.1 and stereo sound as appropriate via OpenMax

Note that I started by testing with Alsa ... which worked fine ... IFF
ALSA:iec958 was selected, (using HDMI etc resulted in EITHER ac3 / dts
or stereo, but not both)

Thanks again for all the great work. It looks as though i just needed a
few config changes to make it work
In retrospect the "Upmix Quality = Passive" setting should have been
obvious, but the Volume Control was unexpected

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR GREAT WORK

If there's anything I can help with please feel free to ask ....

Rob

fwiw my config.txt is minimally customised as follows ...
## ----------------------- RE Added ------------------------- ##
gpu_mem=256
decode_MPG2=0x
decode_WVC1=0x
#
config_hdmi_boost=4   # Need this to boost output - otherwise just a
blank screen
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_edid_file=1