[mythtv-users] Nvidia ION unreliable HDHR Prime at gigabit speeds

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 21:07:28 UTC 2016

On 2/28/16 9:37 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> The point is not that firewire works for him, but that if there is a
> reasonable alternative he can remove the FW card from his box and
> substitute an Ethernet card instead, thus resolving his networking problem.

Right.  Depending on the amount of time/effort I would consider spending
on getting reliable gigabit, I could possibly:

1) Get the IR blaster capability of my HD-PVR working:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR#Steps_to_Enable_IR_Transmitter

2) Build one of Gary's cables:
https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/misc/tree/master/IR_Blaster_to_Comcast_DTA_direct_connect_cable

3) Connect my cable box to the HD-PVR using said cable.

4) Purchase a known-reliable PCIe NIC.

Guaranteed costs:
 - Time / troubleshooting
 - Equipment

Guaranteed functionality loss:
 - Inability to power on cable box programmatically.  As outlined in
another thread of mine, I've seen my cable box revert to a powered-off
state after Verizon pushes out a software update.  Currently I have a
hacky job that periodically checks that the cable box is on, and w/o
firewire, that'll no longer be possible.

Expected benefit:
 - Gigabit network speed

My goal was to know what my options are, but I suspect that in this case
I'll likely just put up with 100Mbit.

-WD