[mythtv-users] Nvidia ION unreliable HDHR Prime at gigabit speeds

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 02:23:58 UTC 2016

On 2/27/16 8:30 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> It has been some time since i used IR blasters, but I
> actually found them reasonable reliable if you used
> the "IR input" port and an appropriate advanced
> channel changer script (note that I had to write my
> own channel changer script to improve upon
> the existing solutions, which I contributed to the
> wiki, and have made available my opto-isolator
> back-to-back circuit for "IR Input"), which avoids most
> of the "random" IR problem.

Ah, interesting.  The last I looked into blasters (including now) I see
somewhat-sketchy pics like:
https://www.mythtv.org/w/images/3/3d/Geoffholdenhomebrew.jpg (from
<https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV>)

I see now that my cable box has what appears to be a 3.5" jack called
"IR Remote Input".   Which I would assume the MythTV box can perhaps
control w/o IR anywhere in the chain, right?  i.e., serial to serial.
Or is the opto-isolator used because the IR Input port isn't designed to
be electrically connected to another system, due to ground loops or
whatnot?   Either way, do you have any links to your contribution to the
wiki?

Granted, my firewire setup is working fine.  But I'm just curious what
sort of options are available in a non-firewire world.  Or if I ignore
my "if it ain't broke" mantra and consider putting in a reliable gigabit
card.

Thanks
-WD