[mythtv-users] OT: Aspect ratio broadcast rant

Saul jaglover at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:27:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 11:55:13 -0600
Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:

> FYI,  in my day job I run a PEG station,  our only outputs are SD 4:3
> on cable companies, AT&T Uverse, and our Internet live stream.  We
> produce everything in 16:9 HD,  but I center cut it to send 4:3. We
> produce all the content and make sure all titles are 4:3 safe. If I
> were to letterbox into a 4:3 frame,  it would actually be lower than
> SD, since it is using less pixels.

Less lines, correct. The technically ideal solution for SD channels
would be full-height horizontally compressed 16:9 picture. Since
everybody has wide screen TV sets stretching such compressed picture
would give the best possible quality. As a matter of fact, one channel
in my area (70774) does exactly that.

--
Cheers, Saul