[mythtv-users] OT: Aspect ratio broadcast rant

Saul jaglover at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 03:02:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 21:53:38 -0500
"Peter Bennett (cats22)" <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 02/17/2016 05:09 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> > <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Ian Evans
> > <dheianevans at gmail.com <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     > I really wish some local stations wouldn't stretch 4:3 retro
> >     channels into
> >     > 16:9.
> >
> I am astounded that hotels I visit in the USA have beautiful
> widescreen Tvs in the rooms, restaurants, etc., and almost always
> they receive only Standard definition channels and have the TV setup
> so that the picture is stretched. I have tried changing the TV
> setting with the remote, which can be done, but when powering on next
> time it reverts to stretch-o-vision. Most people I speak to do not
> notice anything wrong with the picture.

I was in the hospital for a week. Same thing, only the menu item was
disabled so my choices were to watch stretched picture with black bars
on top and bottom or not watch the TV. I didn't watch, I cannot stand
that stretched picture. Thousands engineers have done their best to
bring us the natural picture and then some idiot just ruins it.

--
Cheers, Saul