[mythtv-users] EDID and Sony TV

Michael A Weber mweberjunk01 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:02:38 UTC 2016

> On Feb 15, 2016, at 11:43 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 15 February 2016 at 04:49, Michael A Weber <mweberjunk01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No matter what I tried several years ago with my Sony TV and the Nvidia card, they would never play nicely together.  I was forced to specify the modeline and such for the TV on the front-end, and I have never had a problem since.  I even moved to minimyth2 for my front-end, specify the modeline and such for that front-end, and all is well in the end.
>>
>> Stephen is right; Sony EDID is bad.  Don’t use it.
>
> I have 3 sony TVs, not once have I had an issue with their EDID and nvidia
>
> And just like the OP, I set a custom edid in xorg.conf so that when I
> resume the frontend the TV (and audio) work again.
>
> It's never been a problem

I guess my experience and apparently others on this thread have been different than yours.

When I attempted to let the Nvidia card use the EDID as presented by the TV to do its thing, the nvidia card would only ever do 720p.  With my custom modeline in the xorg.conf, 1080p works as it should.

Your statement begs the question though:  If there is nothing wrong with the EDID supplied by your TVs, why did you “set a custom edid in xorg.conf?”  It doesn’t seem to make much sense.

Mike