[mythtv-users] EDID and Sony TV

Michael A Weber mweberjunk01 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 17:49:13 UTC 2016

> On Feb 14, 2016, at 6:18 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have a little problem with Sony TV.
>
> I use to suspend to disk instead of power off the frontend.
>
> In the resume I use to power on the TV with a CEC command, it works
> well, but the problem is that the TV HDMI 1 input is in black. I need
> to change to HDMI 2 and then to HDMI 1 to get it working.
>
> I read this wiki page:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Nvidia-cards_and_no_picture_when_box_is_on_before_the_TV
>
> I extract the EDID file and add in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
> http://paste.debian.net/386096/
>
> I reboot the frontend and this is what I have in the xorg log:
> http://paste.debian.net/386098/
>
> It says "The EDID for SONY TV (DFP-1) contradicts itself".
>
> Need I configure something else?
>
> I will appreciate your help.
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Josu Lazkano

Josu—

No matter what I tried several years ago with my Sony TV and the Nvidia card, they would never play nicely together.  I was forced to specify the modeline and such for the TV on the front-end, and I have never had a problem since.  I even moved to minimyth2 for my front-end, specify the modeline and such for that front-end, and all is well in the end.

Stephen is right; Sony EDID is bad.  Don’t use it.

Mike