[mythtv-users] upstart mythtv-backend

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sun Feb 14 00:57:07 UTC 2016

> On 14 Feb 2016, at 1:42 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
> I'm banging my head trying to get mythtv-backend to start at boot.
>
> sudo service mythtv-backend start works fine, so it seems like the job is just not set to start up.
>
> Googling had brought up a few, similar problems, but all have been to do with either mysql not starting or no network, neither of which is the case for me.
>
> /etc/init is full of .conf files, including both mysql.conf and mythtv-backend.conf, the content of which I'm copying below.
>
> mysql also has a conventional init.d script with symlinks to rc2-5.d, so maybe that's starting from there?
>
> I symlinked?/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend ?to?/lib/init/upstart-job, as advised on various forums, although it doesn't make much sense to me. When invoking it I got?
> initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused.
>
> I feel really stupid here, but have managed to avoid upstart up to now. Looks like I'll have to learn!
>
> init script follows:
> # MythTV Backend service
>
> description ? ? "MythTV Backend"
> author ? ? ? ? ?"Mario Limonciello <superm1 at ubuntu.com>"
>
> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and started udev-finish)
> stop on runlevel [016]
>
> #should die within 5 seconds, but we don't want data loss, so set it to 30
> #before we send SIGKILL
> kill timeout 30
>
> #if we crash, but not quickly
> respawn
> respawn limit 2 3600
>
> #because we're daemonizing to avoid logging to upstart log
> expect fork
>
> pre-start script?
> ? ? [ -x /usr/sbin/mysqld ] || exit 0
> ? ? for i in `seq 1 30` ; do
> ? ? ? ?/usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping >/dev/null && exit 0
> ? ? ? ?sleep .5
> ? ? done
> end script
>
> script
> ? ? ? ? test -f /etc/default/locale && . /etc/default/locale || true
> ? ? ? ? LANG=$LANG exec /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv --daemon
> end script

Marius
For me it was all about the DVB card or usb-dongle being ready. I never made it work (start from boot without a random long wait) but in a fit of frustration I installed mythbuntu. I can’t see what they have done but my myth aways starts from boot hot or cold start. Perhaps you should try to see what they have done and if it works for you.

James