[mythtv-users] Beta of MiniMyth2 RPI2 edition

Piotr Oniszczuk piotr.oniszczuk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 23:52:27 UTC 2016

> Wiadomość napisana przez Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk at gmail.com> w dniu 27.01.2016, o godz. 21:27:
>
> Hi *
>
> Last year Santa Claus decided to gift me RPI2 :-)
> I started to play with it and later I decided: let my RPI2 learning be
> useful for others.
> So I decided to prepare small, dedicated to MythTV frontend distro
> converting RPI2 into ready to run MythTV frontend.
> Goal is to get running MythTV on RPI2 in easiest possible way.
>
> Currently procedure is like this:
>
> 1.Partition SD card
> 2.Download & unpack file to SD card
> 3.Insert SD card into RPI2
> 4.Power-on RPI2
> 5.Select discovered MythTV backend.
> 6.You should get fully running MythTV on PRI2
>
> Now I have initial ver. with current MythTV master.
> This is beta & prof-of-concept - so expect changes and issues....
>
> If anybody wants to try, procedure is following:
>

> 0.You have to have working in Your LAN:
> -MythTV backend with current MythTV master
> -properly working DHCP server
>

> 1.Partition SD card:
>
> (a) Start fdisk to partition the SD card:
>   "fdisk /dev/sdX"
>
> (b) At the fdisk prompt, delete old partitions and create a new one:
>   Type o. This will clear out any partitions on the drive.
>   Type p to list partitions. There should be no partitions left.
>   Type n, then p for primary, 1 for the first partition on the drive,
> press ENTER to accept the default first sector, then type +100M for the
> last sector.
>   Type t, then c to set the first partition to type W95 FAT32 (LBA).
>   Type n, then p for primary, 2 for the second partition on the
> drive, and then press ENTER twice to accept the default first and last
> sector.
>   Write the partition table and exit by typing w.
>
> (c) Create and mount the FAT filesystem:
>   "mkfs.vfat /dev/sdX1"
>   "mkdir boot"
>   "mount /dev/sdX1 boot"
>
> (d) Create and mount the ext4 filesystem:
>   "mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdX2"
>   "mkdir root"
>   "mount /dev/sdX2 root"
>

> 2. Install MiniMyth2 RPI edition software on SD card:
> (replace "xx" in URL!)
> (a) Download software (as root, not via sudo)
>   "wgethxxp://warped.homenet.org/MiniMyth2-rpi2-latest.tar.bz2"
>   "bsdtar -xpf MiniMyth2-rpi2-latest.tar.bz2 -C root"
>   "sync"
> (b) Move boot files to the first partition:
>   "mv root/boot/* boot"
> (c) Unmount the two partitions:
>   "umount boot root"
>

> 3. Insert SD card to RPI2, power-on
>

> 4. You should see country/language selection screen. Select appropriate.
>

> 5. Next You should see BE selection. Select BE and use "Save".
>

> 6. Normally you should see reloading frontend and next famous MythTV
> main menu, but due MythTV ARM bug, mythfrontend initial reload gives
> black screen. Solution to this is simply kill mythfrontend process.
> [...]

I updated MiniMyth2 RPI2 edition.
Following changes/fixes are in new ver:

Fixes:
1.Steep 6 in original install procedure (killing mythfrontend process after BE selection) is not needed anymore. You can skip it.
2.Reboot/Shutdown from myth UI now works.
3.MCE remote now correctly works OOB.

Changes:
1.MiniMyth2 now by default uses XCB instead EGLFS. I have good results with XCB. In my opinion now RPI2 platform can be used as low-end mythtv platform. If You still prefer EGLFS, then You should:
a.sshas root
b. type ”systemctl stop mythfrontent-xcb.service”
c. type „systemctl start mythfrontend-eglfs.service”
If all is OK, then You can make it default:
a. type „systemctl disable mythfrontent-xcb.service”
b. type „systemctl enable mythfrontent-eglfs.service”

2.Playback profiles: ‚Normal’ and ‚MiniMyth’ now are fully preconfigured for RPI2. So now, at first run after install, user need only walk across Setup/Video Playback screens without need to define playback profile for RPI2. Simple walk & save should be enough.

Code changelog:
v7.12.3 (20160209)
  -update mythtv to r3570
  -add
    0104-minimyth-rpi2-video-profiles.patch
    0105-minimyth-rpi2-general-settings-defaults.patch
    0297-VO-Threaded-softblend-OSD-rendering.patch
    0298-Ticket_12643_Fix_Resolution_change_crash.patch
    0299-Ticket_12644_Fix_sound_when_skip_back.patch
  -remove 0295-0296-TV-Ensure-OMX-decoder-releases-shared-buffers-before.patch
    as 0298-Ticket_12643_Fix_Resolution_change_crash.patch superseeds it

Enjoy and give me pls feedback how it goes for You :-)