[mythtv-users] ALSA/HDMI Losing my mind, ripping out hair

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Fri Feb 12 07:34:12 UTC 2016

On 2/11/2016 5:38 PM, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> On 11/02/16 13:04, Lee Maisel wrote:
>> Have been running MythTV boxen for a few years, using .26 now, and has been running fine for over a year or so.
>>
>> Suddenly, last night, went to watch something, and no audio.
>>
>> No matter what, no audio.
>>
>> Rebooted, and no matter what, the HDMI claims to be invalid in FE setup.
>>
>> aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
>>   Subdevices: 0/1
>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0] <-----------------------  This one --------
>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>
>> Yet, setup says "ALSA:plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3 is INVALID or NOT USEABLE
>>
>> ???????????????????
>>
>> SAME with ALSA:hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
>>
>> What could have happened?   I have been at this for hours last night, and all day today.
>
> Hi Lee,
>
> Sorry for the late response, but I have been thinking about this - could it be a hardware problem ?
>
> Did you change/upgrade anything before this happened?
>
> I have had parts on my motherboard break before.  They were all still available etc, but just no longer work.
>
> I realise it's not a good solution, but maybe adding a different video card might be a simple solution.
> It would at least give you an idea whether the problem is hardware related.
>
> cheers,
> -kt

Hi Lee,

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Have you unplugged the TV and then plugged it back in?

The above have cleared occasional problems I've seen with video signals. Maybe they'll fix your audio problem.

As for getting X to work with a new video card, you'll need to boot in recovery mode where you'll get the option to start X in failsafe mode which should give you more options to get X working with the new card.

HTH,
Helen