[mythtv-users] OT...Using vnc on higher resolution screens

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Fri Feb 12 00:29:44 UTC 2016

On 2/11/2016 3:17 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
> I realise this is not a mythtv issue but I know a number of people on
> the list use vnc and they may find this useful.
>
> I have been using x11vnc as my vnc server for some years now and found
> it incredibly useful as one of the things it does is transmit video on
> screen over the vnc connection from the remote box if I need to do
> quick testing that something is working.  While it's not what you
> would do in a production environment it's useful in a testbed.
>
> One of the problems is that as screen resolutions have increased,
> particularly on laptops vnc becomes less useful as you just cannot
> read the text on remote connections.
>
> Some time ago I asked if there was a vnc client that allowed
> scaling....i.e. it would take say a 1920x1200 incoming screen and
> scale it up by a factor of say 1.3 and show it on my 4K laptop, thus
> allowing me to read text without having to use tricks such as Compiz
> magnify.
>
> I became aware that ssvnc allows this functionality, but didn't have
> time to investigate it properly until I had a spare box to do test
> builds on.
>
> So tonight I downloaded the ssvnc tarball from karlrunges website.
> Compiled it, which was a bit messy as it has quite a few dependencies
> some of which are not well documented, ran it connecting to an
> existing x11vnc server session with a simple command of
>
>> ssvncviewer -scale 1.3 <hostipaddress>
> and behold a working scaling vnc session.
>
> you can scale either up or down and ssvnc supports assorted other
> funky features such as encryption and tunneling.
>
> Hope someone finds this helpful.

Sounds like you're using the viewer from a Linux host. I've used either
TightVNC or TigerVNC on Windows to make changes on my headless frontends
for years rather than plugging in a keyboard. Just used it to turn on
the internal video player instead of mplayer. At least under TightVNC
there is a "Scale by..." setting under options. Works great to allow
viewing of my 1920x1080 tv on a lower res computer screen.