[mythtv-users] ALSA/HDMI Losing my mind, ripping out hair

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Thu Feb 11 22:38:43 UTC 2016

On 11/02/16 13:04, Lee Maisel wrote:
> Have been running MythTV boxen for a few years, using .26 now, and has
> been running fine for over a year or so.
>
> Suddenly, last night, went to watch something, and no audio.
>
> No matter what, no audio.
>
> Rebooted, and no matter what, the HDMI claims to be invalid in FE setup.
>
> aplay -l
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
> Analog]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
> <-----------------------  This one --------
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Yet, setup says "ALSA:plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3 is INVALID or NOT USEABLE
>
> ???????????????????
>
> SAME with ALSA:hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
>
> What could have happened?   I have been at this for hours last night, and
> all day today.

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the late response, but I have been thinking about this - could it
be a hardware problem ?

Did you change/upgrade anything before this happened?

I have had parts on my motherboard break before.  They were all still
available etc, but just no longer work.

I realise it's not a good solution, but maybe adding a different video card
might be a simple solution.
It would at least give you an idea whether the problem is hardware related.

cheers,
-kt