[mythtv-users] Channel scanner won't find a specific channel

David Parker parker.david.a at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:21:51 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2016 9:43 AM, "David Parker" <parker.david.a at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:

> >> I seem to remember a previous thread about Fox having all of their QAM
> channels encrypted, even the broadcast network channel. I can't recall all
> the details but a Google search might turn it up.
> >

> > Thanks, Greg.  I don't think it's encrypted, though, unless I'm
> misunderstanding how all of this works.  I'm able to tune the channel just
> fine on my TV, without any sort of set-top box.  Wouldn't that mean it's
> unencrypted?
> >
> >     - Dave

> Have you tried all of the Qam settings, 256 and about four other options
> on the scan page, where you can also limit the range of channel numbers to
> scan? Sometimes the number that shows up, 31-1 is not always the number
> being scanned, and IIRC Qam channel numbers are set by the provider, I've
> seen Fox on 125-945, in Southwestern Ontario

Thanks for the pointers.  I added a transport specifically for the
frequency of this channel (633000000 Hz) and re-ran the channel scan, and
this time it found it.  It's on channel 115 (not 33_1) but it's there and I
can record from it.  Success!

I guess I'm confused about how the channels are numbered, though.  A
snippet of my channels.conf looks like this:

[WKTVNBC]
VCHANNEL = 2.1
SERVICE_ID = 157
VIDEO_PID = 121
AUDIO_PID = 122 123
PID_86 = 32
FREQUENCY = 603000000
MODULATION = QAM/256
DELIVERY_SYSTEM = DVBC/ANNEX_B

[WKTVCBS]
VCHANNEL = 2.2
SERVICE_ID = 279
VIDEO_PID = 131
AUDIO_PID = 132 133
FREQUENCY = 603000000
MODULATION = QAM/256
DELIVERY_SYSTEM = DVBC/ANNEX_B

[WKTV-CW]
VCHANNEL = 2.3
SERVICE_ID = 287
VIDEO_PID = 111
AUDIO_PID = 112 113
FREQUENCY = 603000000
MODULATION = QAM/256
DELIVERY_SYSTEM = DVBC/ANNEX_B

[WFXV HD]
VCHANNEL = 33.1
SERVICE_ID = 115
VIDEO_PID = 111
AUDIO_PID = 112 113
FREQUENCY = 633000000
MODULATION = QAM/256
DELIVERY_SYSTEM = DVBC/ANNEX_B

[WUTR HD]
VCHANNEL = 20.1
SERVICE_ID = 149
VIDEO_PID = 121
AUDIO_PID = 122 123
FREQUENCY = 633000000
MODULATION = QAM/256
DELIVERY_SYSTEM = DVBC/ANNEX_B

[WCNY HD]
VCHANNEL = 24.1
SERVICE_ID = 217
VIDEO_PID = 121
AUDIO_PID = 122 123
FREQUENCY = 783000000
MODULATION = QAM/256
DELIVERY_SYSTEM = DVBC/ANNEX_B

[WCNY1 W]
VCHANNEL = 24.2
SERVICE_ID = 218
VIDEO_PID = 131
AUDIO_PID = 132 133
FREQUENCY = 783000000
MODULATION = QAM/256
DELIVERY_SYSTEM = DVBC/ANNEX_B

The channel numbers in MythTV for almost all of the channels in the file
correspond to their VCHANNEL values, with two exceptions.  The channel
numbers for WFXV HD and WUTR HD correspond to their SERVICE_ID values
instead (WFXV HD being the one I noticed this issue with).  On my TV,
however, WUTR HD is 20-1 and WFXV HD is 33-1.  So I guess now I'm
wondering, what's the rhyme or reason as to how these channels get mapped
to a channel number in MythTV, and why is it different from the one I see
on my TV?

And please bear with me if these questions seem obvious.  I've always been
an analog guy, this is my first ever experience with HD tuning.  Learning
new things every day!

    - Dave