[mythtv-users] Channel scanner won't find a specific channel

David Parker parker.david.a at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:40:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:22 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 04/02/16 13:38, David Parker wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> It's me again.  I've encountered another odd issue with MythTV and this
>> Hauppauge 2255 tuner, hoping someone can help me out.  This card is
>> using the saa7164 driver on Debian Linux 8 (64-bit).  I opened a Trac
>> ticket for this issue (#12635) but I'm also posting here in the hopes
>> that maybe someone knows the solution.
>>
>> When I scan for HD channels, I run into a couple of issues:
>>
>> 1. The only way I can get the scanner to find my HD channels is to scan
>> all transports. Any other option fails to find them.
>>
>> 2. The scanner consistently misses one channel with I receive clearly on
>> my TV and watch often, but it picks up all of the others.  Other
>> scanning tools, such as dvbv5-scan, find the channel correctly, and I
>> have a channels.conf file which contains the channel definition.  The
>> channel is 33_1 (33-1 on my TV, 33.1 in channels.conf), the HD channel
>> of our local Fox affiliate.  It's a terrible thing not to be able to
>> record Fox during the X-Files comeback.  :-)
>>
>> I'm stumped.  Nothing I do seems to get MythTV so see this channel.  I
>> have it in my Schedules Direct lineup, but it's not in the Program Guide
>> and MythTV acts as if this channel doesn't exist.  Any thoughts?
>>
>> I live in the north eastern US and have Time Warner Cable. These
>> channels are QAM/256.
>>
>> As always, any help is greatly appreciated!
>>
>>      - Dave
>>

> I'm in the UK and I don't have this device;  but you say you have a
> channel definition and that it's qam256.  Have you tried setting that, and
> other things that you know like the frequency, in the Transports Editor on
> the Channel Scanner page of mythtvsetup, and scanning again?
>
> I usually 'scan all known transports' - but that only works if you already
> have at least a partially working setup.

Thanks for the info.  I have not tried using the Transports Editor, but
I'll give that a shot.  I select "Scan all known transports" and also check
the option to try new transports discovered during the scan.  I would say I
do have a partially working setup, insofar as I can find all of the other
HD channels just fine.  It's just this one which evades MythTV.

Thanks!