[mythtv-users] Is the mythtv user supposed to have a password and shell?

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 2 15:51:20 UTC 2016

On 02/02/2016 08:07 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
> user, the recommended command line was:
>
> ssh -l mythtv -Y backendserver
>
> Only problem is that it asks for the mythtv user's password but
> Mythbuntu doesn't set it up with one.
>
> So what's the proper way around this? Or if I just VNC into the
> backend how do I properly run mythtv-setup as the myth user? I always
> seem to stumble here especially as running mythtv-setup is not
> something you need to do often.
>
> Thanks.

The mythtv user in mythbunti is only for running the backend It is a
"system" user id and not designed for logon.

You should run mythtv-setup as you normal user logon. Also you should
run mythfrontend as your normal user logon. Preferably use the same user
id for these every time. If you like you can set up a special user for
mythtv-setup and mythfrontend, but then always use that user id.

Peter