[mythtv-users] restoring some channels to get back EIT functionality

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 31 16:58:15 UTC 2016

Thanks for your suggestions Stephen, both useful.

On past occasions I've always got dire warnings against editing the
database so I'd tread carefully, but it seems like the logical thing to do,
provided one knows where to poke (and I won't claim I know the schema, so I
don't).

On 31 December 2016 at 16:01, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:33:38 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >Have I got any other options left to restore EIT on those channels?
>
> You always have the option of restoring your database backup on
> another PC, or more usefully, on a virtual PC.  The virtual PC
> probably only needs mysql installed, not a full MythTV setup.  Then
> you can dump only the channel table using mysqldump, and just restore
> the channel table only into the real database.  It is also possible to
> restore the old channel table to a different table name (eg
> channel_old), then compare the two tables using SQL commands to see
> what the differences are and where you went wrong, and just copying
> the specific rows you want back again from the channel_old table to
> the channel table, then finally deleting the channel_old table.

This one sounds good but right now setting up a new pc (real or virtual) is
more work than I have time for. I guess in the long term I should keep one
around to cope with situations like this. So let me try your other
suggestion first.

> Alternatively, if you have an editor that can handle text files as
> large as the uncompressed SQL file inside your backup file, then you
> can just edit the .sql file and copy out the part that restores the
> channel table and use the "source" command from a mysql prompt to
> restore the channel table.

I tried opening the 2.7 GB file with emacs's "find-file-literally" (to
disable font-lock and major mode) and it seems to have let me in without
crashing, so let's give it a go.

> As always, when fiddling with your database, do a full backup before
> you start.

As we speak.

> Let me know if you need more explicit help with trying these options.

Yes please. If you would please be more specific on "the part that restores
the channel table" that I'm supposed to copy out, and whether it needs
anything before and after in order to be sourced back in, that'd be great.
There are quite a few tables with "channel" as part of their name and I
would hate to end up in an even worse mess than now.