[mythtv-users] CEC using a nvidia card

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 17:32:50 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Am I correct that if want to use CEC (e.g., to change the receiver's
>> input to the one I have my mythbox plugged into), I would need to get an
>> additonal product?  I currently have a geForce 430 for my video/audio
>> plugged into my receiver via HDMI.  I have CEC on for the tv and receiver
>> for other uses.
>>
>> When I turn on the TV and receiver and select the myth input (using a
>> harmony remote), the receiver will switch over to the TV input after about
>> ten seconds.  I understand it does this because it does not recognize the
>> mythtvbox as CEC compliant so reverts to the TV, which is.  It is somewhat
>> annoying and I would like to correct this one way or another.
>>

> If it's a Samsung TV, that's a known bug which they refuse to fix. It
> triggers the receiver to switch to the TV ARC input about 10 seconds after
> initial power-up. I'm not sure that a CEC component on your MythTV box will
> fix that. I ended up disabling HDMI Control on the receiver. I don't think
> I lost any functionality (maybe ARC, but I used an optical cable to feed
> back to the receiver). The Chromecast connected directly to my receiver
> still accepts CEC commands (play/pause) from the TV remote.
>
> Karl

It's a Vizio TV and a Onkyo remote.  I can't turn off CEC because I rely on
ARC for the smart tv functions in my Vizio.  I will consider using an
optical cable (and believe I had done so in the past) and maybe just plug
all the devices into the TV and have the harmony change inputs on the TV
instead of on the Onkyo.

I will also follow Gary's advice and see if there is some setting in the
Onkyo that needs to be changed.

I don't think I will spend $50 for an adapter.  Pretty annoying Nvidia
doesn't include that functionality.  I can't imagine it would cost more
than pennies to add it per card.