[mythtv-users] Playing nice with plex/what to transcode to?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 23:37:18 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have mythtv with the HDhomerun ATSC tuners. the default save file is *.ts.
> Unfortunately, plex doesn't recognize them as valid, so I plan to transcode
> the files to something else.

Plex likely just does not understand the .ts suffix.  You can likely
copy them to your Plex system and rename them to .mpg (even
though that is really the wrong suffix, presumably Plex can handle
it).  Plex should then transcode them for its clients as needed.
Or perhaps just symlink the files with a .mpg suffix (from whatever
directory Plex is watching).

When one picks an codec one then chooses a level and profile
that makes trade-offs between quality, resolution, bitrate, and device
capability.  Some people will gladly give up quality for a low
bitrate.  Others will only accept the highest quality, the bitrate
be damned.  Only you know what trade-offs will be acceptable
for you.  Choose wisely.