[mythtv-users] DBbackups

Mike Holden mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 04:18:33 UTC 2016

On 24 December 2016 at 06:58, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Greetings Mythizens, I'm looking for an elegant way to backup my database
>> not only to the standard location /mythtv/DBbackups but also to a separate
>> always on PC. Right now i can access it through the "connect to server"
>> option in Ubuntu "files".
>> Myth runs on one Ubuntu machine FE/BE and wakes up for recordings, I have
>> a gigabit LAN (cat5 between the two boxes) with the primary
>> Ubuntu/ZoneMinder box running 24/7. What are my options?
>>

> Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's what it sounds
> like:
>
> A) Mount the always-on system to the mountpoint of your choice on the
> system where your database server is running (or at least where your DB
> backup is performed). My db-server is the same as my BE/FE.  I have windows
> systems mounted with cifs (and I have Samba running in the same workgroup
> as the Windows systems, too.)  I have a NAS mounted with nfs.
> B) Add to whatever script does your current local backups the appropriate
> commands to duplicate the newly created backup file(s) to the remote
> mounted drive(s) of your choice.  I use something like:
>              # rsync -aP --delete-during   /<path to backup>/<backup
>
> I use /usr/bin/mythconverg_backup to do the basic backup with parameters
> that only keep a set number of the latest backups around.  The
> --delete-during option to rsync takes care of cleaning up the remote
> directory to match. I intentionally end both the source and the destination
> parameters to the rsync command because I _really_ mean I want to have the
> contents of the source _directory_ replicated in the destination
> _directory_ and I get in too much trouble when I try to get too
> elegant/efficient.

I use something very similar.

However, to avoid the need to mount directories across the network, I use:

rsync -av --delete -e ssh mythtv at puzzle:/backup/puzzle/ /backup/puzzle/

This runs at the target/client end, and pulls the backups from master, a
machine called puzzle in this case.

Rsync internally uses ssh to log on to the remote end and grabs the files
directly, so you don't need to mount the directory onto the client end.