[mythtv-users] Master/slave backends - swapping roles

Johan Van der Kolk johan.vanderkolk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 10:51:46 UTC 2016

>>> And copy the database across.
>>
>> Not per se needed. Only if you're taking the other machine out of
>> commission.
>
> Which the OP stated he was doing.
>
>> There is no need to run the database and the backend on the same machine.
>
> Indeed.

Thanks guys,

I will decommission the MBE, but might move the db to a separate server. The current MBE is also my NAS with 8TB storage, and consumes 80W 24/7.
And since that thing also runs my home automation it needs to stay on.
The idea is to move everything that is 24/7 including home automation to a low power (20W) small machine and let that machine wake up other machines when required.
Getting the SBE alone to shut down after recording has not been successful yet, but that should work AFIAK. Problem here might be the commflagging going on, need to look at that.
If that works I could run a MBE without tuners on the small machine and let it bring up the SBE when required.

Still a few things to test, not everything I want may be possible.