[mythtv-users] Upgrade path for Mythbuntu 14.04?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Dec 23 02:14:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 12:38:30 +1100, you wrote:

>> Today I started looking at the Mythbuntu website to see how to get onto
>> the current 16.04 LTE based version with MythTV 0.28.
>>
>> About the only two things I got that I'm sure of is that I need to run the
>> Software Updater application and get everything up to date and then get a
>> full system back up before I do a system update.
>>
>> After that, it gets pretty fuzzy.  Do I need to update through 14.10,
>> 15.04, ... or can I go directly from 14.04 to 16.04?
>>
>> Since Mythbuntu as a separate distro is going away, do I need to upgrade
>> to something like Xubuntu or Kubuntu and then simply update/upgrade the
>> MythTV package(s) from the upgraded system's package manager?  Do I need to
>> reverse the order and update/upgrade MythTV first, before upgrading the OS?
>>

>Sorry, I don't have an answer but am considering the same questions. The
>main thing that worries me is that I'll do the right thing and take a full
>database backup, only to find that it's incomaptible with whatever new
>Ubuntu-based system I build due to different MythTV versions. It would be
>great if someone had some advice on avoiding that pitfall as part of this
>whole upgrade process.

MythTV database backups can always be upgraded to work with a later
version of MythTV.  It is only if you are running the latest version
of MythTV and install an older version of MythTV on a new OS install
that you would have a problem like that.  Which would easily be solved
by just upgrading the MythTV version.  If you are running the current
release version of MythTV (0.28) or earlier, there will not be any
problem.  If you are running on the bleeding edge (0.29/master), then
you would need to upgrade the MythTV version to that on any new
install before trying to restore your database backup.