[mythtv-users] Upgrade path for Mythbuntu 14.04?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 23:54:34 UTC 2016

It took me so long to get to where I could update my ancient system that I
never had a previous opportunity to upgrade-in-place with a Mythbuntu
package.

Today I started looking at the Mythbuntu website to see how to get onto the
current 16.04 LTE based version with MythTV 0.28.

About the only two things I got that I'm sure of is that I need to run the
Software Updater application and get everything up to date and then get a
full system back up before I do a system update.

After that, it gets pretty fuzzy.  Do I need to update through 14.10,
15.04, ... or can I go directly from 14.04 to 16.04?

Since Mythbuntu as a separate distro is going away, do I need to upgrade to
something like Xubuntu or Kubuntu and then simply update/upgrade the MythTV
package(s) from the upgraded system's package manager?  Do I need to
reverse the order and update/upgrade MythTV first, before upgrading the OS?

It sounds like I will need to do something like that the next time (e.g.
18.04 LTE), true?

Do I need to go back to my past (painful) process of building a clean
install on a separate disk and reload my Myth database after I get MythTV
installed plus any other tweaks (like udev or sudo rules)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
Craig.