[mythtv-users] Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 16 18:10:24 UTC 2016

On 12/16/2016 10:02 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Jay,
>
> Friday, December 16, 2016, 6:14:44 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 12/16/2016 9:02 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> Hoi Jay,

>>> I have a ping loop in my mythbackend start script:
>>>
>>>           IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
>>>           while [ "$IsAwake" == "0" ]; do
>>>                   einfo "Waiting for the HD homerun to apear"
>>>                   sleep 1
>>>                   IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
>>>           done
>>>
>>> The einfo is I think Gentoo specific, but you can replace it with echo
>>>

>>> Tot mails,
>>>     Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>>
>>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>>
>>> De lerende Mens
>>>

>> Yes, I remember doing something like that in my old HDHomeRun init
>> script (0.21).  So if this gets added to the mythtvbackend start script
>> on 16.04, do you need to make any of the mentioned systemd changes?
>> Jay
> I don't know if you can use it this way with systemd. Me and systemd
> do not like each other and I will stay with openrc. Any of the sytemd
> gurus has to see if this can be added/adapted to the systemd
> 'startscript'.
> But anyway this approach will implicitly also wait till the network is
> fully up as else no ping reply will be received. So the other wait
> solutions are no longer needed.
Yes, this is what I was trying to understand better for the systemd
startup - it is NOT the network that mythtv-backend needs to wait for,
but rather the HDHomeRun tuners, which require more than just the
network (i.e., DHCP server, IP addresses).

> You DO need to give your HD Homerun a static address on your router or
> it might change over time!
The MythTV backend is the DHCP server for the HDHomeRuns and does have
IP address reservations (static addresses) for them.  I also have host
names for them defined in /etc/hosts for convenience.  My HDHomeRun
tuners are on a dedicated LAN (separate NIC card).

Jay