[mythtv-users] 0.28 MythTV frontend does not display ‘input connection’ ‘display name’ when changing input connection

Robert Watson robertabcdefgwatson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 02:20:03 UTC 2016

Thanks colonelguf at gmail
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?user=24670;list=mythtv> for
the response.

Ø  I'm still using .27, "c" displays the current input here

First I need to ask you if you multiple input connections? If you only have
one *and* you change channel, and end back up on the same channel *and*
0.27 displays the ‘display name’ correctly, you might just end up with the
display name. Just want to make sure. See below for more details but for me
with my tuners, it takes two presses of "C" to change input connection.

I had a vague recollection that “C” was what I used to display the display
name in 0.27 but perhaps I was changing ‘stream’ as well which is *not*
what I want if I can avoid it. But according to
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Keybindings#Watching_TV_or_a_recording, “C”
means “change inputs on TV Tuner card”. Looking at the history of the above
Wiki page, “C” has *always* had this meaning. I am confused!

The rest of this is about the difference between “C” and “Y”. I suspect
this is unrelated to the original post but I don’t see the point very much
of these two separate key bindings.

Each time I press “C” in 0.28, screen goes black for one seconds, then
‘info’ section appears in bottom third of the screen as the tuning process
takes over. This continues for one second or so and then the video you
expect for TV appears. At no time did I see the input connection display
name.

When I press “C” again and again, the tuner selected rolls around in a
sequence. Keep in mind that the last 3 bytes in general appear to be
difficult to predict, but one you have a sequence it doesn’t appear to
change until you disturb the sequence buy recording some channel, or
changing a channel on some channel through live TV. That is, it generally
doesn’t change very often.

The device numbers are for me at the moment are 13,12,4,3,2,1

I have 6 input connections each with ‘Max recordings’ set to 2 so I have an
upper limit of 12 concurrent recordings. Because of the lack of display
name, I am using option (2) from my original post and taking the first 4 or
5 bytes (i.e. up to but not including) the underscore in the filename and
using that to determine which input connection is in use. Keep in mind that
this is the concatenation of the ‘device number’ (my term as I don’t know
the correct MythTV term) and a logical channel number which means something
only in my location (Sydney) and can repeat depending on what each ‘stream’
(again my terminology). Logical channel number is 3 characters long
right-adjusted zero-filled.

The sequence just now for example:  13002, 13001, 12003, 12003, 4007, 4007,
3003, 3003, 2002, 2002, 1007, 1002, and then back to 13002 and repeat. This
is a sequence of length 12 – which makes some sense.

A simpler way of putting this is that “C” is going through the device
numbers in the order of live TV preference for each of the possible inputs
on each device number.

According to https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Keybindings#Watching_TV_only, “Y”
means “switch between multiple capture cards. NOTE: you lose your LiveTV
buffer on your current card. Useful for different-sourced cards (such as
Dish Network on one, HDTV over-the-air on another card.)”

>From these explanations from “Y” and “C”, I didn’t understand the
difference between “C” and “Y” so I have done some experiments (below) for
“Y” also. The sequence is 13007, 1007, 2002, 3003, 4007, 12003 and then
back to 13007 and then repeat. This is a sequence of length 6 – which again
makes some sense.

Differences between “C” and “Y”: (1) Both start with the preferred tuner
for live TV but after that, “C” and “Y” go in opposite directions. “C” goes
in the direction that agrees with the configuration of live TV preference.
“Y” (for me) goes in the reverse order to configure preference. (2) “C”
goes through every ‘stream’ (2 per input device) while “Y” skips from input
device to input device only ever using one ‘stream’.