[mythtv-users] Master Backend IP scrambled up

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 00:01:36 UTC 2016

Hoi Craig,

Saturday, December 10, 2016, 12:34:50 AM, you wrote:

> Ok.  Update.  It apparently finally got the mythbackend setup
> accessed via the ip6 local loopback address.  I was able to re-set
> the IP address to the new "permanent" address, so things are working.

> Now, can anyone tell me what settings should be on the DHCP service
> on my openwrt router?  I changed it so it now starts the IP lease
> range from offset 100 (I think that means the lowest leased IP is
> 192.168.1.101?) with a limit of 150 (which I think means IPs from
> 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.250 can be leased?) This, along with
> reconfirming that I have defined a static lease for the correct IP
> and MAC addresses of my backend should keep my backend on the correct IP.

> I thought in the past I had set the dynamic lease range so that it
> excluded the range where I had the static leases defined for the
> myth FEs and BE, but that could have just worked due to a quirk in the old router, so...

> Am I now describing an appropriate configuration, or do I need to change something?

> Thanks in advance for any help.

> --
> Craig.

It is always advisable to set static addresses outside a dynamic
range. If the router is smart enough it would exclude any static
assignments by itself within the dynamic range, but that is not
guarantied.
It is a reason to limit a dynamic range so addresses outside can get
assigned otherwise. Either static by the router or static on any
device itself.
Any range set to dynamic assignment by a DHCP server should be
excluded from assignment by any other way, even by the same DHCP
server. This to prevent collision.
I would set a dynamic range as low as reasonable to leave space, so at
home to 100 or even 50. What is the chance of more then 50 different
devices accessing the router within the set expiration periode?
(normally a day or even 4 hours) If a lot changing devices access the
point, you set expiration low (1 hour). If mostly the same device
access it you set it high. Possibly you can not change expiration.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop