[mythtv-users] 2Backends

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Thu Dec 8 12:38:16 UTC 2016

>>> I want to make sure 0.28 works fine before swapping, which it does not do!
>>>
>>> First I?m not silly or naive - I?ve been using and configuring and building from src since 0.18
>>>
>>> Time to spelunk the src,
>>>
>>> (1) my 0.28 frontend keeps displaying, then removing, then displaying again the ?Cant connect to master backend message?. At all times a mysql -h bla -umythtv -pbla mythconverg from anywhere in the network works. Shutdown of the 0.27 machine has no effect.
>>>
>>> (2) Play a video fails (there is no antenna on the 0.28 machine so live TV and recording are not tested yet).
>>> The Video page does show the videos by name, no pictures though, but play on a remote machine says
>>> Failed to access remote file myth://Videos@bla/whateverName.mpg
>>>
>>> jam at poohcorner:~$ ls -l /store
>>> total 24
>>> drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Dec  5 11:12 lost+found
>>> drwxrwxrwx 2 root root  4096 Dec  7 11:28 Movies
>>> drwxrwxrwx 8 root root  4096 Dec  5 15:59 OwnCloud
>>> jam at poohcorner:~$ ls -l /store/Movies
>>> total 88802296
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 jam jam 2276717036 Dec  5 14:46 7DMAdmirer12.mpg
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 jam jam 1924607700 Dec  5 14:49 7DMAlwaysOnMyMind6.mpg
>>> etc
>>>
>>> The 0.28-backend machine *does* play videos on it?s frontend, though wierd in the extreme is to watch a recording with the ?Can?t connect to Master Backend? overlaid. After a few seconds it fades, then is redisplayed.
>>>
>>> Short of trying other hardware I cannot think of a thing to do. I have tried several installs of mythbuntu-16.04.1 this one with no fiddling except to set a root mysql password, set the mythtv password to something sane, and allow 192.168.5.% access.
>>>
>>> (lest this provokes a storm: my machine has no internet access to it, my wife will not hack my network, and wireless access has a reasonable PSA password, what on earth is the point of bizare passwords?)
>>>
>>> If anybody has ideas or suggestions, that would be most helpful.
>>
>> This is critique not criticsm, but does serve as a Beware regarding mythbuntu. I shall revert to the harder but more certain ways
>> I installed afreash on a new machine (actually an older amd64)
>>
>> jam at 6pines:~$ mythtv-setup
>> mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
>> ERROR 130 (HY000) at line 1: Incorrect file format 'settings'
>> status: Name "com.ubuntu.Upstart" does not exist
>> libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
>> libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
>> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
>> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
>>
>> Back to square 1.
>> James
>
> I do have to wonder how you managed that, as I have never had anything
> like that from a Mythbuntu 16.04 or 16.04.1 clean install.  Are you
> getting that immediately after the install completes, or after you
> [...]

Stephen with mythbuntu 14.04 I have had good experience over the years.
I installed 16.04.1 on 4 machines. I fiddled the first install, but the rest were clean.
The first 3 did *not* work the last did. Using hindsight I went back and made machine 1 work.

Machine 1: 2012 mac mini - i5 core duo, 4G RAM, 500G disk
Machine 2: amd64 4G/500G dual core (old so I forget detail)
Machine 3: nuc i5 4G/128G (duo)
Machine 4: nuc i3 4G/256G (duo)

To get machine1 to run I enable mythbackend.service with systemctl
I removed the .config/autostart/setup.desktop link

All somewhat daunting to the neophite, doubly daunting to see ‘Can’t connect to master backend’ overlaid over the movie you’re watching!!

My last hurdle (wireshark tomorrow) on 0.27 I play a video over uPnP on my samsung tv. On 0.28 the same video has the samsung complaining ‘unsupported file format’. It must be a naming thing.

I’d like to believe I was being harsh, but the issues I’ve had have been pretty harsh.
I assume that the hardware has an effect on the install (actually I’m certaiin it does)

James