[mythtv-users] 2Backends

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Thu Dec 8 04:54:50 UTC 2016

> On 6 Dec. 2016, at 10:43 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> What is the underlying reason you want to run 0.27 version ? Maybe you can
>> solve the issue and use 0.28 and one backend.
>
> I want to make sure 0.28 works fine before swapping, which it does not do!
>
> First I’m not silly or naive - I’ve been using and configuring and building from src since 0.18
>
> Time to spelunk the src,
>
> (1) my 0.28 frontend keeps displaying, then removing, then displaying again the ‘Cant connect to master backend message’. At all times a mysql -h bla -umythtv -pbla mythconverg from anywhere in the network works. Shutdown of the 0.27 machine has no effect.
>
> (2) Play a video fails (there is no antenna on the 0.28 machine so live TV and recording are not tested yet).
> The Video page does show the videos by name, no pictures though, but play on a remote machine says
> Failed to access remote file myth://Videos@bla/whateverName.mpg
>
> jam at poohcorner:~$ ls -l /store
> total 24
> drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Dec  5 11:12 lost+found
> drwxrwxrwx 2 root root  4096 Dec  7 11:28 Movies
> drwxrwxrwx 8 root root  4096 Dec  5 15:59 OwnCloud
> jam at poohcorner:~$ ls -l /store/Movies
> total 88802296
> -rw-r--r-- 1 jam jam 2276717036 Dec  5 14:46 7DMAdmirer12.mpg
> -rw-r--r-- 1 jam jam 1924607700 Dec  5 14:49 7DMAlwaysOnMyMind6.mpg
> etc
>
> The 0.28-backend machine *does* play videos on it’s frontend, though wierd in the extreme is to watch a recording with the “Can’t connect to Master Backend” overlaid. After a few seconds it fades, then is redisplayed.
>
> Short of trying other hardware I cannot think of a thing to do. I have tried several installs of mythbuntu-16.04.1 this one with no fiddling except to set a root mysql password, set the mythtv password to something sane, and allow 192.168.5.% access.
>
> (lest this provokes a storm: my machine has no internet access to it, my wife will not hack my network, and wireless access has a reasonable PSA password, what on earth is the point of bizare passwords?)
>
> If anybody has ideas or suggestions, that would be most helpful.

This is critique not criticsm, but does serve as a Beware regarding mythbuntu. I shall revert to the harder but more certain ways
I installed afreash on a new machine (actually an older amd64)

jam at 6pines:~$ mythtv-setup
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
ERROR 130 (HY000) at line 1: Incorrect file format 'settings'
status: Name "com.ubuntu.Upstart" does not exist
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

Back to square 1.
James