[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 16.04 and nvidia drivers

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 11:04:22 UTC 2016


Hoi John,

Wednesday, December 7, 2016, 10:19:14 AM, you wrote:



> On 12/06/2016 11:15 PM, Marius Schrecker wrote:
>> Thanks Hika,
>>
>> On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 17:43 CET, Hika van den Hoven
>> <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  
>>> Hoi Marius,
>>>
>>> Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 10:48:03 AM, you wrote:
>>>
>>> > Hi,
>>>
>>> > ARound the time that 16.04 came out I did an upgrade of an older
>>> > mythbuntu system with a GT610 video adapter and hit problems with
>>> > the nvidia nv-control module, which wasn't allowing mythtv to match
>>> > the monitor refresh rate to the frame rate of the content I was
>>> trying to play.
>>>
>>> > I tried "everything" at the time, using all the available versions
>>> > I could easily install using packages, scripted installers and
>>> > vanilla nvidia installer, all with no success. I eventually gave up
>>> > and lived with the problem, allowing the available drivers,
>>> > packages, mythtv code to mature over time before trying again.
>>>
>>> > I haven't had much time since to play with mythtv, but last night,
>>> > for the hell of it, after being irritated again with the jumpy
>>> > video, I decided to downgrade from the version that was installed (I
>>> > can't remember now whether it was 358, 361 or 364) to 340, which was
>>> > mentioned in another recent thread regarding a working driver for
>>> legacy cards.
>>>
>>> > I rebooted and was surprised and pleased to see that the refresh
>>> > rates were now being set correctly... Problem solved!
>>>
>>> > However, as we have now moved on quite a bit since April and as
>>> > there are newer driver versions available, does anyone know if
>>> > something changed radically since 340 in the way Nvidia handles
>>> refresh rates?
>>>
>>> > Can anyone say which driver version might now be considered optimal
>>> for the GT610 on a mythTV system?
>>>
>>> > I'm a bit wary about breaking again whatever fixed itself
>>> > yesterday, so don't want to just blindly cycle through the driver
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> > BR.
>>>
>>> > --Marius--
>>> >
>>>
>>>
>>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
>>>  
>>
>> Hmm, so the GT 610 isn't there as it's not considered lagacy hardware.
>> All the same, the driver seems to work far better than the version I
>> had installed before. At least when it comes to updating refresh rates.
>>
>> Any other GT610 users out there:Please can you say which nvidia driver
>> you're using with Myth?
>>
>>  Thanks
>>

> I have a FE with a GT610 that successfully uses the 367.57 driver in
> Mythbuntu 16.04.

> John
> _______________________________________________

Ah, but Nvidia itself does not guaranty that! If I remember correct
they place it as a 340 legacy card. It's some time ago I
used/installed a GT610. I guess you will see warnings in your bootlog
about things not working properly.



Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma
Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"

De lerende Mens



More information about the mythtv-users mailing list