[mythtv-users] Difficulty upgrading system

Alan Baker baker at alanbaker.net
Tue Dec 6 03:00:18 UTC 2016

On 12/5/2016 6:36 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> My concern is whether I will lose my configurations if I do that.
> Lirc is a PITA to set up and whenever I have to start from scratch, it
> becomes an all day project.
>
> Some guidance would be greatly appreciated before I remove the lirc
> package and have to reinstall it.  Do I need to redo my config files?
> (Nvidia I think I can handle fine.)

Gabe,

You could save your config files, e.g.

    ~/.lirc/mythtv (aka ~/.mythtv/lircrc)
    /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
    /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
    /etc/lirc/<yourhardware>.conf

and re-apply them to your upgraded system.

Or consider this upgrade:  Like you I spent way too many hours on lirc
and various mapping idiosyncracies until I got rid of it entirely.  I
now control my MythTV with a wireless keyboard and have never looked
back at using a remote.  The MythTV commands were really designed for a
keyboard so the hardware and software just work and the human factors
are far better.

Alan