[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend will not start

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:44:37 UTC 2016

Hi Jack!

> This is frontend and backend machines both upgraded from Ubuntu 14.04 to
> 16.04 and .27 to .28.
>
> Actually I just did clean install on frontend.
>
> I think I finally got the mysql problems squared away on backend.  I can
> run through mythbackend setup and it runs myfilldatabase and mythbackend
> starts.
>
> However, the frontend will not start.  This from the log on frontend

Plus a later comment on seeing the Country and Language screen

Might be because the configuration files (seems to be plural) aren't
configured correctly -- for some reason doesn't seem to get imported.

Check (and probably edit)  /etc/mythtv/config.xml; from my notes:

|*/*||*etc/mythtv/config.xml *|Each indent only a space; used tabs for
clarity

|<Configuration>|

|<Database>|

|<PingHost>1</PingHost>|

|<Host>192.16||8||.0.13</Host> ||<== server (Backend) IP ||address; if
'MythBE1' sticks|

|<UserName>mythtv</UserName>|

|<Password>||KwteP9HQ</Password> /(I did alter for this post)/

|<DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>|

|<Port>3306</Port>|

|</Database>|

|<WakeOnLAN>|

|<Enabled>0</Enabled> ||<== 1 = Try to wake host|

|<SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime> ||<==seconds to wait
before reconnect|

|<SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>|

|<Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command> ||||<== might be
sudo etherwake MAC address ||==> sudo etherwake xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx|||

|</WakeOnLAN>|

|</Configuration>|

There are other config.xml's:

locate config.xml

 1.

    /etc/mythtv/config.xml

 2.

    /home/barry/*.*mythtv/config.xml

 3.

    /usr/share/mythtv/config.xml

Check numbers one and two -- updating #1 is supposed to update #2 but
for some reason around here doesn't always.  (And what's nice is someone
might tell me what's wrong and we'll both learn! :)  )

Another thing I learned is if you type mythfrontend at Terminal one
avoids the annoying looping one gets when loading the Frontend via the
icon.  I've learned during initial configuration not to turn on the
automatically load MythTV option.   Oh, and also do not tic the -- argh!
can't remember nor find what it's called in my notes!  In MCC there's an
option to optimize -- I think MySQL -- definitely 'optimize'.  The
command sequence is broken.

Good Luck!

Barry