[mythtv-users] Home Run doesn't operate with Myth

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Aug 30 15:41:14 UTC 2016

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:39:13 +0200, you wrote:

>On 30/08/16 15:48, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> First create a new directory:
>>
>> sudo mkdir /etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d
>>
>> Then in that directory, create a new file mythtv-backend-override.conf
>> (the name does not matter but the .conf does).  In that file,
>> put the following two lines:
>>
>> [Unit]
>> After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service
>>
>> What that does is to tell systemd to wait until the
>> NetworkManager-wait-online service is running.  I believe that file
>> needs to be owned by root and have restrictive access rights, so you
>> may need to run these two commands to ensure that it is set up
>> correctly after you create it:
>
>Stephen,
>
>Whereas I have no doubt that this has worked for you, I'd like to probe
>whether it will work for everyone. Specifically, do you know whether
>16.04 runs NetworkManager even on servers? Because I know that at least
>in earlier Ubuntu versions NetworkManager was only run on desktop
>machines, which mythtv backends are not necessarily.
>
>Furthermore, NetworkManager can be overridden by entries in
>/etc/network/interfaces, for example in order to configure static IP
>addresses on some interfaces even if NetworkManager continues to be used
>to manage other interfaces on that machine.
>
>So I guess the underlying question is whether a generic trigger exists
>in systemd that signals that network configuration is complete (if
>indeed the one you cited isn't already it).
>
>Thanks, Jan

The NetworkManager-wait-online.service is only for systems that run
NetworkManager.  I have never installed Ubuntu server so I do not know
if it has NetworkManager or not, but quite likely not.  If you
override NetworkManager settings in the interfaces file, but
NetworkManager is still running, I believe that
NetworkManager-wait-online.service should still work.  If you want a
static address, however, you can just tell NetworkManager to use a
static address via its GUI, rather than doing it in the interfaces
file, and that should guarantee that
NetworkManager-wait-online.service will work.

There are other triggers that can be used for determining that
networking is fully up.  The
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration page
suggests pingnetwork.service, which I have never used but I believe it
needs to be set up to ping an address, and might be able to be set up
to ping the external address of the MythTV box.  If you have a router
or switch that will always be up and responds to pings then that could
be a viable option to ping also.  There may well be other possible
systemd targets that could be used, or you could even write one if
necessary.  I have not researched further than
NetworkManager-wait-online.service as that worked for what I needed.