[mythtv-users] MYSQL problems on upgrade to ubuntu 16.04

Jack McGee jack at greendesk.net
Sun Aug 28 18:34:10 UTC 2016

On 08/28/2016 12:31 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 08/28/2016 12:06 PM, Jack McGee wrote:
>> I decided to take the plunge, and upgraded  backend to 16.04.

>> |I don't believe MYSQL server is running:
>
> You're right.

>> Unable to connect#012Database error was:#012Can't connect to local
>> MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

>> |but cannot figure out how to restore them.|
>
> Until mysqld is started, you won't be able to
> restore the DB either (and may not need to.)
>
>> |mythuser at amethi:/usr/share/mythtv$ cat /etc/mysql/my.cnf

>> [client-server]
>>
>> # Import all .cnf files from configuration directory
>> !includedir /etc/mysql/conf.d/
>> !includedir /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/

> If you think there's something missing in the SQL configuration,
> then you must follow the includedir statements above. Look for
> .cnf files in each of the above directories.
>
> But before going there, how about looking at the mysql error log:
>
>     sudo cat /var/log/mysql/error.log

mythuser at amethi:/usr/share/mythtv$ sudo cat /var/log/mysql/error.log
[sudo] password for mythuser:
cat: /var/log/mysql/error.log: No such file or directory

> to see if it will tell you why it's not starting. Also, try:
>
>     journalctl --unit mysqld.service

mythuser at amethi:/usr/share/mythtv$ journalctl --unit mysqld.service
-- No entries --

mythuser at amethi:/usr/share/mythtv$ systemctl status -l -n999 mysqld.service
● mysqld.service
    Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
    Active: inactive (dead)