[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu change from MySQL to MariaDB?

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sun Aug 28 12:34:37 UTC 2016

On 25/08/16 11:16 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 08/25/2016 10:16 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>> The default install uses MySQL.  You have to install MariaDB yourself
>> after installing Ubuntu.  That will uninstall MySQL and install
>> MariaDB in place of it.  MCC should not be able to tell the difference
>> - MariaDB is almost indistinguishable from MySQL to any program that
>> is using a MySQL database.
>
> Ok, I got it, but why would someone know to uninstall MySQL and
> install MariaDB?  If Ubuntu uses MySQL by default and Mythtv still
> works with it, why would you change?
>
> Jim A

On a debian system (for some reason, only on my production machine, not
my test systems) I was having issues with mysql shutting down properly
(primary issue) and some other minor issues. Like Stephan, the change to
editline was annoying, but in itself wasn't a deciding factor to do the
change for me.

Installed mariadb (which was as easy as 'apt-get install
mariadb-server'), my issues were gone, running a smaller memory
footprint (only 8% smaller, but still) and have been getting marginally
better performance.

To the OP: I understand Ubuntu should have mariadb in its regular
repository, failing that you can try:
https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=iweb&distro=Ubuntu&distro_release=xenial--ubuntu_xenial&version=10.1
(watch the line wrap on that, and the version).
 From my limited experience with Ubuntu and the fact that the
mariadb-server is a meta package pulling in a conflicting mysql server,
you might have to explicitly 'apt-get install mariadb-server-10.0 (or
whichever version you are trying to pull in).