[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu, Intel graphics and losing monitor when off

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 07:12:49 UTC 2016

Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've not seen this issue before, the system works fine if I boot with the TV on but when I turn off the monitor or switch it to another input and then return the TV is blank with no signal reported.

Apart from all the other options you've had, IIRC there are gadgets available that sit in the HDMI lead and have the sole function of saving the EDID info from the TV/monitor and passing it to the computer when the TV is off.

AIUI, TVs are supposed (according to the HDMI spec) to provide the EDID even when off (in power save, guess it would be hard when unplugged) or switched to another input. It seems that most don't - and these gadgets are there to work around such problems.

I did a quick search for "edid saver" and quickly found that "we are not alone" with this problem, it looks like "edid emulator" might be a better search term.