[mythtv-users] Centos 7 and mythtv

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Aug 21 08:21:30 UTC 2016

On 20/08/16 10:14, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 20/08/16 03:46, James Abernathy wrote:
>> Since I’m not getting anything figured out on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS as
>> far as a stable display on my monitor/TV, I’m testing other long-term
>> solutions for my Mythtv system.
>>
>> I installed Centos 7 today and got mythtv 0.27.4(v0.27-e4f65c8)
>> working and the system and TV display are very stable.  This solution
>> is good until 2020 for full updates and 2024 for limited updates.
>>
>> So my question is what about 0.28?  Is that going to be supported on
>> Centos 7?
>>
>> I installed using the mythtv instructions for RHEL/Centos and then
>> used the Mythtv Fedora instructions for configuration.  It’s a little
>> more work than Mythbuntu, but I figured it out.  There was no mention
>> of 0.28 in any of that information.
>>
>> Jim A
>
> I've been running 0.28-fixes under SL7 for some time, currently from a
> 'mock' rebuild under f23 of the rpmfusion srpm.  I don't use a lot of
> the mythtv features on offer.  The only changes I have noted are:
>
> - for el7: replace python2-mysql by mysql-connector-python
> - remove frontend requirement for mesa-vdpau-drivers
>
> and I imagine that the second wouldn't suit everyone.
>
> I also have builds of 0.29-pre.  The one for f23 runs well, but I
> haven't yet felt the need to install its equivalent on the SL7 box.
>
> I have no idea what might eventually be available as packages for el7,
> but my build uses stuff from nux-dextop, which doesn't seem to be a
> particularly active repo.

You might like to know about this.  The scrpms repo (TTBOMK)
provides packages in the ATrpms tradition and was started when ATrpms
began to fade away.  Packages from scrpms may not be compatible with
those from rpmfusion and epel - but rpmfusion doesn't do el7 anyway.

I haven't used scrpms packages in the recent past and web searches don't
bring up much.  ISTR it has a google group for users.  There's an
automatic rebuild system, and it seems to be being kept up to date.

http://scrpms.net/pub/RPMS/el7/x86_64/

John P