[mythtv-users] OT Any interest in HDMI --> IP TV x264 encoder boxes?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Aug 16 15:08:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 6:27 AM Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > ... in future please don't make implied threats such as
> > members email addresses are going to be captured and the copyright
> > swat teams are likely to be kicking in their front doors, it's
> > unbecoming.
>
> There was no such threat. But if you think the sort of people behind the
> DMCA and the outrageous punishments that have been handed down in it's
> execution would not look at mailing lists for evidence, then you really
> haven't been following reality for some time. These are the people who will
> claim that sharing a CD (for example) cost them several thousand $ per
> track and have successfully got court judgements forcing people to pay that
> sort of compensation.

*snip*

> *THAT* is why all talk of circumventing DMCA is not permitted here. Even
> though some subjects clearly are treading a very very thin line.

 I was following this thread to see where it would go and I have to agree
that your "implied threat" did kinda take this from benign to something
that puts the community at risk.

Yes, other folks hinted at this device stripping HDCP... however that topic
was not freely discussed.

Just because a device is capable of something illegal does not
automatically make the device illegal.  DVD burners can be used to copy
DVD's, but they are still freely moving across borders for example.

I felt that the majority on this thread was doing a good job of skirting
the potential issues until you came in and laid them bare.  The better
response would have been simply to remind folks that any discussion of the
USE of this device to circumvent copy protection must be taken off list.

Your assertion that simply shipping the device overseas some how was
criminal activity is, first inaccurate, and second was counter productive
as you potentially opened this list to liability, the same way doctors
don't make 'mistakes' and instead have 'complications'.