[mythtv-users] OT Any interest in HDMI --> IP TV x264 encoder boxes?

Dennis Stansfield dennis at stansfield.biz
Sun Aug 14 16:42:50 UTC 2016

>  On Aug 13, 2016, at 12:03 PM, Dennis Stansfield <dennis [at]
> stansfield> wrote:
> >
> >> It's the TBS 2216
> >>
> >> I've been offered thirty and would need to take them all, so if there
> >> isn't enough group interest then unfortunately it can't be done for
> >> individuals.
> >>
> >> Shipping to the States would depend on how you want it done, can I
> >> suggest you could check out a couple of courier companies (the main US
> >> ones cover the UK as well), for the UK postal service (which is very
> >> efficient and reliable) you could google Royal Mail shipping costs to
> >> see your options, I believe anything shipped via Royal Mail then gets
> >> handed across to USPS for local delivery.
> >>
> >> Any other questions happy to answer.
> >
> > I'd be happy to take two of these off of your hands Tony,
> > We'd have to work out how to ship them to the States…
> >

> I am curious… what can they be used for here in the U.S. ?

What I plan on doing is replacing my aging HD-PVR boxes.  From what I
understand I should be able to use the HDMI out of my DirecTV boxes as
the input to the encoder box, then through a switch, route that back
into mythtv.
I'm betting the learning curve may take me a bit, but there's a great
guideline on the Wiki, which looks very doable.
Considering a new HD-PVR costs around $150 US,  a replacement at $100
sounds pretty tempting.
I'm betting I'm going to wish I had purchased more at this price...

Cheers,

Dennis