[mythtv-users] after reboot mythbackend not logging to /var/log/messages

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Aug 12 01:35:16 UTC 2016

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 10:08:58 PM Mark Perkins wrote:
> On 12 August 2016 4:35:22 AM ACST, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:31:42 AM Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> >> [0.27.6 on Fedora 22]
> >>
> >> Since I set my box up I have been doing a tail -f /var/log/messages
> >as an easier way to see what mythbackend is logging.
> >>
> >> The other day I did some Fedora updates including a newer kernel but
> >didn't reboot because it wasn't convenient. This morning the box
> >started generating a bunch of CPU/GPU messages which eventually led me
> >to just reboot it.
> >>
> >> But now there is no mythbackend logging to /var/log/messages at all
> >and I'm stumped as to why that is. Other stuff is getting logged
> >though.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> >I left things as-is and looked around to see how to reconnect the
> >logging, and just this morning at 10am, 15 days after I rebooted, lo
> >and behold logging is as it was before. Now I don't understand twice as
> >much.
>
> My only guess would be a system update changed the startup script to log elsewhere, and then another system update changed it back. Do you have a /var/log/mythxxxxx file or /var/log/mythtv/ folder with files under it?

I hadn't done an update since the reboot because there are no more for F22. Yep I have those files, like before, just not whatever made mythbackend also log to /var/log/messages. And mid-week, not even a system log files rotation.

I may just have to shrug and carry on. My desktop monitor driven by F20 and KDE suddenly stopped doing and power-save power-off some time back and today went back to normal. Maybe I caught a neutrino...

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca