[mythtv-users] Restoring old database to newer version install

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 11 22:24:57 UTC 2016

On 08/11/2016 04:33 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 08/11/2016 02:29 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
>> So all I need to do after that is run mythconverg_restore.pl? It
>> handles the mismatched schemas?
>
> No. mythconverg_restore.pl restores a backup you made
> earlier. Probably/recently on 0.27 in your case.
>
> The schema upgrade happens when you run a 0.28 mythtv_setup
> (and mythfrontend.) mythbackend will do the upgrade too, but
> mythtv_setup is preferred.

Right, so make sure you do a complete restore, and to be safe (in case
your package manager creates a schema), use the

--drop_database --create_database

arguments, as at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database
(which will work fine, even if there is no existing database, given a
user with proper permissions--so you should really always use those
arguments).

You cannot do a partial restore--but, on the bright side, there's no
good reason to ever do a partial restore unless you have some database
corruption in some of the tables (but not in any of the partial-restore
tables).

Mike