[mythtv-users] More DRM for Frontier FIOS

Alex Tomlins alex at tomlins.org.uk
Fri Aug 5 12:31:43 UTC 2016

On 04/08/2016 20:39, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 8/4/2016 11:35 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> On Thu, 2016-08-04 at 13:28 -0500, David Engel wrote:
>>> It was just over a year ago that I had the displeasure of reporting
>>> that Verizon FIOS had enabled copy protection on the national FOX
>>> channels.  For those of us FIOS cablecard customers unfortunately
>>> sold
>>> to Frontier, the saga continues to worsen.  It has been reported that
>>> Frontier's policy is to copy protect everything, much like Time
>>> Warner
>>> Cable does.  That appears to be the case as all new channels rolled
>>> out in the last week or so have copy protection enabled.  It's
>>> probably only a matter of time now before they get around to enabling
>>> it on existing channels too.
>> The fix is in.  (has long been I am sure)
>>
>> It's really just a matter of time before any and all content everywhere
>> will be completely uncopyable and inaccessible to any device except
>> that which you are provided by your provider at a hefty cost to keep
>> you in the silo that much longer.
>>
>> This whole game is a racket.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> b.
>>

> I had hopes for the FCC push for third party STBs. Hope is fading:
>
> http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-copyright-office-criticizes-fccs-plan-on-set-top-boxes-1470260812
>

> Sorry if you can't read this. The WSJ puts most articles behind a
> paywall.

To avoid the paywall, you can just google for the title (or in this case
the last part of the URL -
"u-s-copyright-office-criticizes-fccs-plan-on-set-top-boxes-1470260812"),
and click through from Google. Sites have to allow Google in or they
don't get indexed.

Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email: alex at tomlins.org.uk

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started