[mythtv-users] Right then....how to tell recording to start xxx minutes in rather then at beginning?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Aug 3 19:50:48 UTC 2016

On 03/08/16 20:09, Another Sillyname wrote:
> The BBC are now showing the Olympics in a glorious 8 channel Red
> Button festival....I won't sleep for a month!!!!
>
> However I'll explain for non UK based users.
>
> The BBC Red Button service in effect turns digital channels on and off
> as required so if a certain Olympics event is due to start at say
> 14:00 the programming will start at say 13:45 and the channel will go
> live literally maybe a minute before the programming starts.
>
> In SD this hasn't usually created a problem.
>
> However in HD when you try to playback the recording has started
> early.....the HD decoder tries to play the file and borks (as the
> channel probably hasn't 'turned on' when the recording started), if
> you play the file with VLC it's fine...so it's there.
>
> I suspect that myth is looking for video info at the start of playback
> to decide what decode mode it needs to go into and when there isn't
> any it segfaults.
>
> So how can I tell myth to start playback say 4 minutes into a recording?
>
> I can't change the recording rules...there's far far to many
> recordings to want to mess around with (unless I can setup a rule such
> as "If this recording is on 'BBC RB HD' then start recording 5 minutes
> later then normal).

I've had a similar problem with (SD) programs starting at 19:00 on BBC4 as I set 5 minutes pre-roll
and there often isn't anything there at the start of recording.

The quick way round that is to press 'skip' while the "Please Wait" words are on the screen, which
surprisingly works. That jumps the preset skip distance into the file and is usually enough to get
past the blank bit.

You can also press 'E' when "Please Wait" is displayed and that gives you the chance to edit out the
offending bit of bad recording.

--

Mike Perkins