[mythtv-users] What are my options for getting TV shows after leaving comcast?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 3 02:31:46 UTC 2016

On 8/2/2016 6:56 AM, Brendan Kearney wrote:
> On 08/02/2016 02:19 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> After 10+ years of happy times with mythtv, it may be time to retire my
>> setup.
>> I just got tired of paying comcast so much money for so few channels I
>> was watching and 10 things I was recording at most, and got tired of
>> ever changing channel numbers so I would miss sometimes entire seasons
>> of programs.
>>
>> I know I could go back to OTA HD antenna, but that won't bring me some
>> of the shows that are cable only.
>>
>> What are my options for getting/watching the shows below as simply as
>> possible, and preferably without stupid unskippable ads, some of which
>> are the same 3 ads over and over again:
>>
>> Broadcast channels:
>> 60 minutes
>> SNL
>> Simpsons
>>
>> Cable:
>> Nova

Nova isn't a cable TV show.  It's a show from PBS, which is probably one
of the best supporters of OTA television in the US.  It and the
broadcast shows you list above are available OTA if you have a properly
sized/placed antenna (and can be recorded with MythTV using a supported
ATSC capture device).

>> the daily show
>> south park
>> better call saul
>>
>> Actually, I'm even interested in something that would tell me that there
>> is a new version of that show that has aired, and that I should go get
>> it/watch it somehow.
>> For instance I missed the entire last season of mythbusters before I
>> found out it was airing and that for yet another reason, my mythtv
>> wasn't able to record it anymore.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marc
> i cut cable, and went the Roku+app route.  i have Sling and Hulu as
> monthly subscriptons.  with some research you can find which apps you
> need to get the content you want.

But remember there's no recording with Sling unless you rig up a clumsy
HD-PVR with Roku 1 (only one with Component out) solution--and even
then, you can only use Sling on a single system at a time (only one Roku
or iPad or Android or ... per Sling account), meaning you couldn't
record from multiple channels. Therefore, Sling is only really live TV
viewing and VOD (some channels offer some of their shows VOD)--with
unskippable commercials in the VOD streams (that also make it really
annoying to jump around in the show--often punishing a 30-sec skip back
with another round of (the same) 5 commercials).  They also offer
pay-per-view streaming rentals for movies and such, just like Amazon
Instant or whatever.

Also, there wouldn't be recording with Hulu--but as I understand it you
could just stream and re-stream any of the Hulu Plus shows you want once
you get the Hulu Plus subscription, so there's no need to record.

For me, I have OTA recording (6 physical ATSC tuners in MythTV with a
nice TV antenna and properly distributed signal) and Sling. However I
find Sling is only useful for ESPN as everything else I like to watch I
don't want to watch with commercials.  So, even though Sling has AMC and
AMC on Sling makes The Walking Dead available via VOD (so I could watch
it on my schedule), I choose not to so I don't have to sit through the
commercials.  Instead, I buy seasons of TWD on Amazon and stream them
commercial-free when my wife and I are ready to watch.  I do the same
for other cable TV shows I like, whether they're on Sling channels or
not--The Last Ship, Fear the Walking Dead (OK, not so much that I like
that one, but I feel I have to watch it because I really like TWD), The
Expanse, ...

While it seems it would be expensive to buy the cable TV shows I want to
watch individually, I find it's *significantly* cheaper than a cable TV
subscription.  Previously, I had the local cable company's $99/mo
high-speed internet and TV bundle special (first year pricing, goes up
to "normal" price--whatever that would have been--after a year, but
since I dropped cable before the year was up, I don't know what the
normal price was).  With the $99/mo special, I was paying >$130/mo after
taxes, fees, equipment charges, etc. (the cost was increased a little
bit at a time a few times during the 8mos or so I had it and the last
month I had it was $135).  After dropping the package, I got high speed
internet for $39.99/mo (including all taxes and fees and there are no
equipment charges since I bought my own cable modem) and Sling is $20/mo
(and I have it only for my wife's ESPN).  So I'm now paying $60/mo.
That means I have >$70/mo I can spend on buying TV series or movies on
Amazon before I hit the cost of the cable TV package.  Since most series
are about $20-40/season on Amazon, I can buy more than 21 seasons of TV
per year before I hit the cost of cable TV.  Since I don't have nearly
the time to watch 21 seasons of TV shows (and since I have Amazon Prime,
giving me Amazon Instant Prime--which provides many good shows for free
on Amazon Instant, including The Americans and Falling Skies and ...), I
never buy nearly that much.

Note, too, that this only works if you can get high-speed internet at a
good price even without bundling it with a cable TV subscription (which
is not possible in some areas of the country, depending on the
entrenched monopoly provider for the area).  I'm wondering if my current
solution will still be possible when Charter finishes their take over of
the Brighthouse Networks properties that were serving my area.

Mike