[mythtv-users] Hardware refresh for frontend

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 00:21:54 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Steve Greene <sgreene59 at verizon.net> wrote:
> I'm looking at an Intel NUC5CPYH as a replacement for my Asus ION based
> frontend. Does anyone use this little box? How is the driver support for the
> consumer infrared port? Any other driver issues?

The weakness in all the NUCs compared to your ION is
the video post processing.  None of the Intel decoders are
as good as the nvidia for HQ de-interlacing, and while
some of the later gen Intel chips can (in theory) do an OK
job (MCDI and MADI), MythTV does not currently support
the later VAAPI functions to utilize them (and while such
patches are on many wish lists, so far no one has stated
that they have had the time to do any real work on them).

So, if high quality de-interlacing is on your "must have"
list, the NUC may not be the SFF platform you want.