[mythtv-users] 0.28 mythfrontends just keep backing up DB and do not start

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Apr 30 02:32:36 UTC 2016

On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 13:59:38 +1200, you wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:15:29 -0400, you wrote:

>>> That was the entire mythfrontend.log, here is the log from my other FE, hostname blue:
>>> I do not use MythMusic if that helps.  When I open mythfrontend, it doesn't even display in the gui, if I Alt+tab, I can see that there is a window open, but when attempting to view it, it just hangs.  Are there any other logs I can provide to help see what would be killing it?
>>
>>That window is asking for permission to upgrade the database.  So,
>>mythfrontend isn't shutting down or being killed--it's just waiting for
>>you to answer the question in the window.  Until you do so, it will wait
>>at the prompt.  I'm guessing that if you can't actually get to the
>>window, it's some GUI/window manager/... bug or misconfiguration.
>>
>>Mike
>
>A few versions back I had a problem like that when I upgraded.  I just
>waited until the activity stopped, so it was waiting on input from the
>invisible window, then hit <Enter>.  It then went on and completed the
>upgrade successfully.  I never did figure out what caused the problem,
>but all three of my MythTV installs did it for that upgrade.  Maybe
>the same thing is happening again.

And I have just remembered the other way I worked out to get around my
problem.  I uninstalled the MythMusic package (on Mythbuntu).  That
allowed the upgrade to complete, and then when the MythMusic package
was installed again, the next time the frontend was started, it did
the MythMusic database upgrade but this time the message window was
visible.  If MythMusic is still in a separate package in 0.28, that
might work for you.  Even though you are not using MythMusic, if it is
installed it will have database it needs to upgrade.