[mythtv-users] Auto Expirable Recordings

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 23:15:33 UTC 2016

Hoi Hika,

Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 1:07:27 AM, you wrote:

> Hoi Jerome,

> Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 12:46:03 AM, you wrote:

>> On Monday, April 25, 2016 03:20:05 PM Jay Foster wrote:
>>
>>> Using mythweb -> Backend Status, I see the following information under
>>
>>> the Machine Information section:
>>

>>> Space Available After Auto-expire: 235,104 MB
>>

>>>   * Space Used by LiveTV: 0 MB
>>
>>>   * Space Used by Deleted Recordings: 24,245 MB
>>
>>>   * Space Used by Auto-expirable Recordings: 23,885 MB
>>

>>> As far as I know, I have no auto-expirable recordings.  How can I
>>
>>> determine which recordings are part of the 'Space Used by Auto-expirable
>>
>>> Recordings'?  In other words, which recordings are subject to being
>>
>>> auto-expired?
>>

>> I believe all your recordings except ones you've set to not
>> auto-expire (plus ones set to expire by virtue of being deleted) are auto-expirable.
>>

>> In MythWeb Schedule Options for a recording or recording rule see
>> the "Auto-expire recordings" checkbox. By default it'll be checked.
>>

> Also in the frontend menu for any recording under storage options you
> can toggle it. The same goes for MythWeb. There is either a white
> clock or a crossed out red rimmed clock. Clicking it toggles it.

> Watched recordings will expire before unwatched. So if space is needed
> for a recording, files are removed in this order:
> files flagged as deleted
> files flagged as auto-expiring that are watched
> files flagged as auto-expiring that are unwatched
> If that does not create enough space the recording will fail.

> So set a recording to NOT auto-expire if you intend to keep it. If you
> find any new recording more important, set it to auto-expire.

> By differentiating between deleting and setting it to auto-expire, you
> can create a kind of priority order.

> For some recordings I have them set to not auto-expire in the
> recording rule, but change that after watching to auto-expire.

Oh and further by limiting the number of episodes for any rule, you
can further prioritize. If that number is reached, depending on what
you have set, the oldest or the newest is deleted. This deleting
follows the rules you have set for deleting (immediately, when space
is needed or anyhing in between).
Weirdly enough the default is to keep the oldest!
For instance I have set my rule for recording the news to only keep 1.
So I have always the latest version and no more.

Tot mails,
  Hika Alina Maria van den Hoven                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop