[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Apr 25 21:44:15 UTC 2016

On 04/24/2016 01:48 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> On Saturday, April 23, 2016 07:05:09 PM R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>  >

>  > The dev attitude is like the devs at Fedora and Ubuntu who will not let
>
>  > you log in as root "because you shouldn't do that"... I know that, but
>
>  > when I am setting up a brand new install it is damn convenient to be
>
>  > able to re-boot and log in as root. I do NOT need to told that I can't
>
>  > DO that, because I shouldn't do that so we won't let you.
>
> Am I missing something? I've used RedHat since 5.2 in the mid-1990s and
> RHEL and Fedora and CentOS in the last decade on a couple dozen
> desktops, laptops, and servers, and I've never been denied logging in as
> root at any point after I pull out the install CD/DVD.
>
> Which Fedora have you been using?

IIRC it was about Fedora 19 or 20 when it started to be 'abnormal' to be
able to log in as root. The fix was some editing in /etc/pam.d/kdm
dealing with root.

I don't remember exactly what I did in F21. The pam.d setup changed
extensively.

In F23 I had to change the minimum UID in Sytem Settings ->
Startup/Shutdown -> Login (SDDM) to 0 from 1000.

(Which made booting rather weird for a few reboots, as all 'users' were
then shown in the login splash screen... eventually that stopped.

It wasn't particularly difficult, but it was treated as a State Secret.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury