[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Apr 25 21:31:41 UTC 2016

On 04/24/2016 01:25 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 24/04/16 00:05, R. G. Newbury wrote:

>> The dev attitude is like the devs at Fedora and Ubuntu who will not
>> let you log in as root "because
>> you shouldn't do that"... I know that, but when I am setting up a
>> brand new install it is damn
>> convenient to be able to re-boot and log in as root. I do NOT need to
>> told that I can't DO that,
>> because I shouldn't do that so we won't let you.
>>
> And this one... which is why I use plain Debian. I have tried Ubuntu in
> the past and found most of the overhead just plain unnecessary for a
> server.
>
> Besides which, I'm an old enough fart to be comfortable logging in as
> root :)

As am I.

In fact, I just looked and uptime on this desktop is 16 days and, as it
happens, I am logged in as root.

Frogs did not fall from the sky, and my hair did not catch on fire.

I can't even remember WHY I wanted to log in as root. I just never
logged out. But I DO remember that it took a fair amount of messing
around to be able to log in as root.

And 'messing about' was reasonably simple in Fedora21 but really obscure
in Fedora23.... the stupid gits.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury